Thursday, June 30, 2011

Setting the bar again and again

   I began running with one goal in mind, to meet the qualifying time on the Police exam. Oddly enough, one of the many things that I always wanted to be able to do before I was fit was to be able to pass this exam. It was a standard and I wanted to for once be at a qualifying level for something. I set my sights at completing a mile and a half under 12 minutes. Of course in particular Neil fashion I only gave myself 2 and a half weeks to prepare because I used to be able to run a good mile on the treadmill. Not as simple as I thought.....

  Running a fast mile is particularly easy for the novice runner and running it under 8 minutes isn't the toughest thing to do but let me tell you, a mile and a half was a whole other ball game. My first problem: I was so tight  from not running in 7 months that I had terrible lower back pain. Second problem: I never ran a mile and a half for time ever! So, after having my cousin who is an LMT work on me I was able to complete a mile pain free. Then I just jumped right into the full distance clocking in at a brisk 14:30. Hmm, 2 weeks to drop 2 and a half minutes or so. This was going to be interesting.....

   Luckily, I had a great running coach who taught me all about stride, cadence, and training methodology. The running was tough but it began not to see so foreign. We progressed our distance up to 3.25 with in the next week. It was a bit of a jump but considering that I was pain free and my cardio was good, coach thought it was necessary in order for me to understand pacing. Time at the track #2 14 minutes flat. Hmm, better but still a far cry with a week away. So I did what anyone highly motivated would do and that was try it again the next day. Time #3: 13:30. I was getting somewhere and hating every second of it.

   I took a day off and went back to my run schedule. I felt better and my confidence grew. Within the last 2 days I had 2 more timed runs before the big run. I was using music on my i-pod to help set a pace. This seemed to work well with my second to last run. Time #4 13 minutes. Whooo, i was inching closer but how was I supposed to lose 1 minute in 2 days? The last day before the test I set myself up as usual, got my music ready, and ran as fast as I possibly could. Time #5 12:32, then I immediately began dry heaving (only because I didnt have anything to vomit). The kids at the H.S playing soccer were all looking at me. I didnt care because I knew that I was 6 seconds away from the lower qualifying interval. Although 12:28 would qualify me, I wanted the 11:49 for the upper percentile.

     The big day has here. I successfully completed the 3 prior tests and was ready for my run. Of course as always, something didnt go according to plan. We were not allowed to use headphones during the run. What?!! This was not cool. Now, I had to run even harder then the day before and was certain to puke now (even though I expected to all along) because my playlist was pace setter. Not being an experienced runner this really sucked. Well, i told myself that I prepared as best as I could and just went with knowing my body. I spent the 10 minutes waiting mentally preparing myself by trying to connect with the tremendous amount of adrenaline of nervousness flowing through my body.

   We lined up, and off we were. First lap not so bad, second and third I felt good. I slowed down a little during lap 5 because I wanted to save a little energy for lap 6. I also had completed the first mile in the very low 8's. The final stretch around the last turn was brutal. I had zero left and couldnt push any harder at all. I watched as the kid about 8 years younger than me take off like he hit the nitrous button. I crossed the finish line.........  12 minutes flat and no dry heaving!!

   The weight that was lifted from my shoulders drenched me with satisfaction. I didnt make the upper percentile but my experience was filled with success. Actually, in 4 months I would have been 30 years old and at that age I would have beaten the upper percentile time by 28 seconds. Job well done in my book. The rest of the day I reflected back on my experience. Each day I set new goals for myself and each day I found whatever I needed to reach them. I used the recipe for success that I used when I first began my fitness 10 years prior. Just when you think that you've reach the top, there's always higher to climb. My 7:15 mile on a treadmill was bragable to some but didnt nearly measure up to this experience. Where did I go from here?

   Well, i'm obviously not a Cop. I actually enjoyed running now. So, I did what anyone who liked to run did, I ran more. I kept reaching new milestones. 4 miles, 5 miles, 6, then 8 miles whoooo! I was playing with house money. Each time I learned something new about my body and about myself. Not only did I improve my mental toughness but my body was doing things that I never thought that I would do. Now, I run 20-30 miles a week and completed my first half marathon last March. To think that my body has even more in it than it does now is my biggest motivator. I cannot wait for my next half, my first full marathon, or even my first triathlon! Without setting those goals for myself id still be the cool kid bragging about my treadmill 7:15 mile. Who do you want to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment